For years now bloggers one after the other, release their own skincare routine raving about the same product; the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. Without any doubt, consumers started to demand for supplies and the whole skincare world is shaken. Amazon and Iherb lost track of their orders and went out of stock. Organic stores and supermarkets who offer the product sold out as well, a lot of new online stores popped up and sell theirs on little ziplocks for a cheaper price.. like testers to be exact and consumers went crazy. Including me, I myself is guilty for this bandwagon, till I developed allergies from using it.
Skin type: Combination, more on the sensitive type
Skin problems: Big pores and pimple marks
What the product claims to be:
- World’s most powerful facial
- Deep pore cleaning with 100% natural calcium bentonite clay
- Does not contain: Additives, fragrances, animal products
- Deeply cleans pores to avoid acne
- Removes impurities and lessen the appearance of big pores
- Important Note: Do not leave clay mask on skin longer than 5-10 mins for delicate skin; this will prevent redness/drying
- Important Note 2: Please read and follow all manufacturer directions before using. Slight redness of the skin is normal and will disappear in about 30 minutes after use.
- Use for acne and blemishes.Use it once per week
How I prepare and use the mask:
- Make sure you prepare a silicone brush or any non metallic spoon to scoop and mix the product. Non-metallic containers and non metallic spoons are better to use when putting products on your face like masks.
- Scoop a small amount of product and put it on a bowl, mix it with tap water or an apple cider vinegar. Some say that distilled water is better to use when making masks, haven’t tried it yet but you can and comment the difference!
- Make sure to mix it with a brush or anything non metallic. I used wooden chopsticks once, it worked perfectly. He he.
4. Make sure its at the consistency where you want it, I suggest if you have a sensitive type of skin make sure its more watery than it is paste like. If you have a normal skin, make it as paste like than water or when you’re oily so the product would stick more to your face. I know this because I’ve tried it to my mom and to my aunt. It makes a huge difference.
5. After mixing, apply it to your face especially thicker on the areas where you are problematic. E.g your cheeks with big pores, your T-zone that’s extremely oily or your nose filled with blackhead or whiteheads.
6. Leave it on for not more than 5 minutes for sensitive skin, 10 minutes for dry skin and 15 minutes for normal and oily skin.
7. Remove product with a warm wet cloth or wash with warm water.
8. Expect redness on areas where you put most of the product. It will fade away in a matter of minutes.
My skin is more on the sensitive side so I try to make it as thin as possible, you can also avoid the under eye area if you’re really SENSITIVE about any product. I like putting my face masks till that area for some reason that I don’t know, just feel like I have to.
I applied mine mostly on my cheeks, I really do get oily in there too. I gave this mask another chance just to make the verdict.
- Face feels squeaky clean after using it, not really a fan of squeaky clean since it might have removed the natural oil from my face but for oily skin types, this is probably heaven for you.
- Texture of the face is smoother especially if you remove the product with a warm water.
- Considerably brighter, I suggest using vitamin c oil right after or any products containing niacinamide.
- Works perfectly before applying your makeup.
- Developed two zits on my chin after a day, probably another allergic reaction.
- Redness is still evident after 2 hours. Such a long time to fade away to be honest.
- After an hour of using it, face felt itchy and irritated.
- Face still feels itchy the next morning, till now while I’m typing this.
- Developed small bumps on my face after 3 days post-use.
SO? (Based on experience)
- I suggest purchasing this if you have a normal-oily type of skin, sensitive and acne prone should take precaution cause irritation might occur more.
- DO NOT USE when you have an active breakout. It will irritate your acne more.
- WASH your face with a gentle cleanser after using it especially if your face feels itchy.
- Use apple cider vinegar with a tinge of lemon if you have lots of pimple marks that you want to fade. I suggest mixing it with a bit of water even if you use the apple cider vinegar as the base diluent.
- DO NOT USE IF FACE IS ALREADY IRRITATED. Instead use nourishing face masks that are moisturizing and calming.
- Better to apply this product after a warm shower especially if you want your pores to open up. It does clean up your pores, but again might be too sensitive for certain skin types.
- Wash your face with cold water if you’ve decided to use a gentle cleanser afterwards.
Thanks for reading and I hoped you enjoy!